Friday, August 23, 2013

Silly putty recipe!

 
Today I will teach you a recipe for silly putty!
Silly putty is a classic goo that has been around for years.
You can find a small history about it here. (pretty interesting)
You can find the original silly putty here at Hobby Lobby.  (love this place!)
...or...
You can make your own!
You are going to need: Borax, Water, food coloring, and glue.

  1. Mix together a even ratio of both cold water and glue. (I used clear glue, but you can also use white.) And if you can see by the pictures on all my GOO posts, I don't use Elmer's glue.  I went frugal and bought $0.50 bottles. It's cheap but has the same effect.
  2. At this point, go ahead and add in one or two drops of your food coloring. (if you are using colored 'Glitter glue' you do not have to add food coloring.
Classic Glitter Glue 
(All right to this picture go to Elmer's.com)
     3.  Now in a separate bowl, mix the borax and hot water together until the borax dissolves.
     4.  Pour the borax mixture into the glue substance.
     5.  The glue should coagulate.
     6.  Pour off the extra water and move the "silly putty" around in your hands for a while to mix everything together.
     7.  You can store silly putty in a plastic baggie, or in recycled plastic eggs from that Easter egg hunt a year ago!


Have fun!
Be silly!
And enjoy!


 




**CAUTION: this "silly putty" recipe does contain borax.  Borax as I understand is not at all harmful when touched or used in a recipe like this.  However, you should not consume borax or this recipe, or get it in your eyes.
For further concerns, I highly recommend you to do your own research...All I am saying is to just use it responsibly.  Like with any goo recipes, wash your hand afterwards**


Recipe::
  • 1 part cold water (I used 1/3 c.)
  • 1 part glue (I used 1/3 c.)
  • food coloring (optional)
  • 1 cup hot water 
  • 1 teaspoon borax

No comments:

Post a Comment